View Single Post
Unread Nov 29th, 2007, 05:47 pm
eslHQ Member

Leighanna is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do you feel when you take on a new class?

Quote:
Quote clivehawkins View Post
I love new classes, but even so I too get a little nervous. You never quite know what they're going to be like. I guess that's part of the fun. If they're nasty, it's a challenge to win them over. If they're nice, then all the better.

I always try to find what makes them tick, as a class and as individuals. If you can get them talking about their passions, showing interest and even some knowledge on the subject they'll usually warm to you pretty quickly.

Take the mickey out of yourself a bit too, that always goes down well. Show them you're human.
As for the British / American thing, just speak the way you normally do. Even in British English there are ways of saying things that differ from county to county. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much.

On the whole though, I like that buzz. Bit like a new girlfriend I suppose. New, curious, exciting at the beginning but at the end you can't stand the sight of them any more and are looking forward to moving on to the next one. (I'm joking, of course!)

Good points, though I'm not completely sure what it means to "take the mickey out of yourself". I know it's a British phrase, but haven't had someone explain it yet.

Nice comparison. Though I was also usually was nervous when I first started dating someone new.