View Single Post
Unread Dec 3rd, 2007, 05:47 am
sonatina

nadyawisdom is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I don't have control over my students! SOS!

Hi
I have a very similar set up at my school in Germany. I have the same problems. The children are expecting a lot of fun and no work.Plus I have only one lesson a week! I did the following. I explained in German, that if they want to learn English, they must do some work. I do tell them to be quiet and I try to speak to each child during the lesson (I have 12 children in one group). I plan my lessons so that each theme runs over two lessons. The first lesson I do teaching (mostly), the second - we play games using all the words and phrases from the first. When a child doesn't want to take part in lesson, I just let him/her be. There are kids who want to learn, so I work for them. And I give homework too. Not all are doing it but some are very happy with it. To them I give stars and I promised to have prizes at the end of the term for the three pupils with the most stars. This move involved more kids into doing their homework! Unfortunately I can't be more helpful. I just go there and do my best for the ones who are interested and hope that others will retain something from my lessons.