View Single Post
Unread Feb 14th, 2008, 11:59 am
eslHQ Member

cjj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching English in French primary schools

I found it surprisingly easy to learn the signs for the words I use the most often with my students. I found it easier to learn the signs in the context of a story so I practiced by signing the stories I like to read/tell my students or have created with my students. Also, if a natural sign exists for the word, I use it instead of the SEE sign. Hot, cold, walk and run are a few that come to mind. Until this year, I’ve never had a class for more than one school year so the number of signs I need to know is limited to about 400.
As far as translation goes, I will from time to time translate a word the first time I introduce it. I sign and say if/si/if for example. But, for the first 10 hours or so I try to introduce only words that can be understood from my modeling. For example: Put on the coat, take 2 pencils, run to the door, sit on my chair, sit on your desk, run then jump, sing then shout your name. I also use pictures occasionally to clarify meaning and if someone blurts out something in French, like “I know” or “I don’t understand” or “who me?” I take that opportunity to teach the English equivalent and the appropriate sign.
The “good” teachers really enjoy watching me work with their class and can appreciate what I’m doing. They are so proud and supportive of the progress of their students. I love working with these classes. The other teachers use the time to make photocopies or grade papers – enough said. Every year I have entire classes of future teachers from IUFM come to observe my
classes . . . The feedback I receive is that my methods and the way I interact with my students are "American" or "made in USA".
There are always lots of comments about my "esprit positif et encourageant", constant smile, energy, utilisation of space, movement . . . but even the French teachers who are convinced of the efficacy of my methods say it isn't part of their culture and they tell me flat out they would never be comfortable utilising such techniques. I try not to give up hope.
By far my biggest supporters are the parents.