View Single Post
Unread Feb 24th, 2008, 11:21 pm
eslHQ Addict

EngliPatrick is on a distinguished road
Default Where is the fine line?

Sometimes, ESL classrooms have two teachers working side-by-side each other. This is often referred to as 'team teaching'.

Even after almost 5 years of working in this field, I still have a hard time finding the line of how far the non-native speaking teacher has to make a mistake for you to openly correct them in class.

For example, today I had a teacher ask a student, "Who made this temple?" The student responded, "<Person's name> made this temple," but they were told that was incorrect. Another student responded, "The temple was made by <Person's name>," but they were told that answer was incorrect, also. When the teacher has completely baffled the students, he said: "<Person's name> did."

My question to you all is, how far does a teacher have to stray from acceptable English before you are willing to correct them on the spot? I'm not talking about a rude "YOU'RE WRONG," but a simple correction like, "The other responses are okay, also." Some small mistakes are okay to let go, but where do you draw the line?