View Single Post
Unread Mar 9th, 2008, 07:38 pm
eslHQ Member

tikiman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where can an ESL teacher get the best pay package?Tokyo, Beijing, Seoul,

I`ve been in Japan for 5 years and I`ve found that the salaries have actually decreased in that time. You could get 300,000 a few years ago for ALT jobs but now most postings are for 250,000. ALT jobs in many cases pay the same as EIKAIWA they just offer more time off (but you don`t get 100% of your salary for August and December. Usually 60-75%). Privates are going for 1500yen these days. I think it`s because there is an abundance of teachers and companies are undercutting each other to score contracts from the BOE`s. Everyone is easily replaceable and I think a lot of companies know that they can find a teacher seeking work in a very short period of time. Just be careful when you are negotiating. My company only gave me a 1000Yen raise a month last year and my evaluations were excellent from the BOE. Go figure! In anycase, I can still save about $1800-2000CAD/month. I don`t party too much however and entertainment expenses can be quite abit if you`re not careful. I take about a handful of trips a year. Good luck.