View Single Post
Unread Mar 22nd, 2008, 04:02 am
eslHQ Member

Bagga is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where is the fine line?

If my team teacher is wrong, IN ANY WAY, I would respond quickly, but preferably by working from the particular to the general, by doing a quick summary of valid answers on the board, including the "... did" you use in your example.

Or by taking the team teacher to one side, explaining the problem to them, and allowing them the chance to amend what they said, or they way they said it...

In your example, there is a bit of a flaw in teaching technique, in my opinion. The TT should be saying "Well, ..... is good English, but for this exercise (or "in general", or "more usually in informal spoken English" whatever) "... did" is the best answer."

I am a nasty piece of work maybe, but my job is not to save face for a team teacher, or for a student - it is to improve the student's level of English. I currently teach 23 Chinese students at approaching IELTS level 6 (I hope!) and they are feeling a bit brutalised after our first 16 hours together. But they know it is my variation of tough love, and they have responded well. If I say their English is wrong, that doesn't diminish them, it improves them.

They were shocked when I told them that the Chinese lady who teaches another of their English classes was telling them the wrong way to pronounce a word - but now they know the right way, and her error is not their problem any more, it is hers and hers alone.

As to team teachers, sorry, but if they can't take the heat they must stay out of the kitchen.

(Ok guys - flame on!)