View Single Post
Unread Apr 29th, 2008, 06:49 am
eslHQ Member

jenjenjag is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need Help!! Phrasal Verb Games!!

Hello,

Try phrasal verb jeopardy! Another teacher gave me a copy of the game board when I was working in Prague, and I have used it countless times (with great success).

All you need is a white/chalk board, about 20-30 phrasal verbs, and their synonyms.

Make a grid on the board. On the top, write "make", "take", "put", "break", etc. (in other words: the verb parts of phrasal verbs). You can choose which phrasal verbs to use.

Then in the far left hand column, write 10, 15, 20, 25 in descending order from the top row.

This can be played with a large class, divided into two/three teams, or it can be played with small groups (every student for his/her self).

The first student chooses "make" for 10 points, for example. You provide the non-phrasal verb equivalent (e.g. to reconcile), and the student must provide the phrasal verb (e.g. make up).

If the student is correct, I usually write his/her name or his/her team's name in the correct square. That helps to keep track of points. I also usually assign the more difficult or less common phrasal verbs the higher point values.

Good luck!
Jen