Thread: English vs. ESL
View Single Post
Unread Jun 18th, 2008, 08:46 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: English vs. ESL

Sorry, I rushed to get that last post off before my 4:00 class started. I think it makes sense, minus the typos, but I wanted to add a little more.

I know it seems that there is a commitment or apparent commitment on the part of the Japanese education system to turn out English speakers. They invest a lot of money and time (both students' time and teacher hours.) BUT something is missing ...

I think you hit the nail on the head with the ESL vs. EFL thing.

Of course with more time, better trained staff and greater exposure we can increase knowledge but the fact remains that young students don't need English and have very little to no exposure to English outside of the classroom. English is something used by a few to communicate with those from outside of Japan. It is not needed for functioning within this society. That makes it EFL.

Getting them on the internet in search of English isn't going to make it any more real than the US movie they just watched, the song they just played on their iPod, the CocaCola they're drinking, or the Harry Potter notebook they used to do their homework. They are aware of western culture and that English is the medium.

The only tangibile use for English is passing tests, and therefore that's where the energy within the public school system lies. Testing is what motivates the masses here.

You could also pray that the administration would see that the current system doesn't promote healthy speaking and more time is not the problem (a minimum of 6 and up to 10 years doesn't need 2 more years to make the difference.)

However, you also have to think about what fluent English speakers would really do to Japanese society. When you teach language, you also teach culture and cultural differences. However, when you teach a student to the point of fluency in a second language you don't just teach them to understand cultural differences, you teach them to be different. That bleeds into the current culture and like it or not the U.S. is already a dominant culture affecting so many facets of other cultures. Is it such a good thing to paint that brush across the entire country?

I don't think so.

it's OK to be a subject teacher, build a foundation and inspire students, but people need to be aware that not every students is going to be a 'pro' English speaker. Second language acquisition is a talent just like any other. For some it's easy for others its very hard and some will never be able to do it no matter how hard they try.

There are plenty of students striving to be 'pro' English speakers and there is a place right near you that could use your help to make that happen ... If helping those that desire to be fluent speakers is what you want to do, then think about it, but if staying in the public school system is your choice, you have to understand that choice.