View Single Post
Unread Jun 25th, 2008, 01:11 am
eslHQ Member

Rouvrou is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching English in French primary schools

Hello there
Applying for the job was a bit strange really. I sent an email with a brief CV to the Académie explaining that I was interested in the work. I had a letter back saying that they would be trying to employ teachers already in schools, but would contact me when there was a vacancy. I heard nothing for 18 months and was then asked to start at very short notice. The advisory teachers provide support and training courses where you meet other people doing the job. You have to pass an habilitation which involves observation by an inspector. The contracts are for 7 months, starting in the late autumn round here and you get paid for July and August. I think it is a good way to get into schools, but you are limited in the amount you can work by the need to travel between schools. I also get the impression that there may be more work for intervenants outside the big towns, but I may be wrong. I think it would be hard to make a living doing the job. I don't know how you would be placed for retraining as I get the impression that things are not as flexible in France; others may know if there is anything like the graduate teacher scheme in England. From talking to teachers in schools I think they are less well paid than in England.
Good luck anyway.
regards
Rouvrou