View Single Post
Unread Apr 23rd, 2006, 06:23 am
ESL Teacher

Frauke is on a distinguished road
Default Students don't remember correct pronunciation

Hi,

I teach in Spain, adults in companies. One of my classes is a total beginners class aging from 30 to 55 years, 5 students in total. I teach them once a week for 2 hours. They are motivated and we have a lot of fun together, but my big problem is that they don't seem to be able to remember the correct pronunciation of new words.

E.G. I did description of people (beautiful, tall, long hair, blue eyes etc) last year and this year - I started 1.5 months ago again with them - I 've been teaching body parts.

We have been pronouncing body parts ever since then. I feel I have repeated the words about a thousand times and more and they still don't get it right. I am glad that they actually finally remember what e.g. leg, etc means as that was a problem, too, that they did not learn their vocabulary.

I am so frustrated about that. Can somebody please give me some advice what to do. I feel I cannot do more than just repeating it over and over again.

I would like to start something else as I don't want them to get bored, but if I start with new words, I will have the same problem....

Any ideas? Thanks!!