View Single Post
Unread Jul 30th, 2008, 05:03 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pay rise or Pay raise?

I don't think it is the same as the "completely" use - for me up does reinforce the sense of direction (metaphorically in the revolt sense of course). But that's an intuitive reaction and, as always where language is concerned, individual intuitive reactions are not necessarily representative of wider use. The only justification I can find is that usually up changes the meaning slightly - tearing a piece of paper and tearing it up are not the same thing. And for me cleaning a room involves hoovering and dusting, while cleaning up also means tidying. I'm on stickier ground with wash up in the American sense - is there a difference in the "size" of the wash - I know you wash up for dinner - ie give your hands a quick wash, but if you were really dirty and just need to get clean is wash up still appropriate? Or is there another slight difference? In UK English of course, wash up means wash the dishes.

With rise/raise however, I don't notice any difference of meaning with or without up - just intensification. What do other people think?