View Single Post
Unread Sep 25th, 2008, 08:25 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Students questioning the English textbook

I think what Patrick is talking about are Japanese nationals that have been abroad and returned. I could see after school lessons or something for a community with a large foreign community like the Arabian example in Italy, but would that be the school's responsibility? How would they handle the curriculum set out by the province or country?

If Arabic was a compulsory subject for graduation in Italian schools would the Arabian children be able to skip it? Would the school be required to offer something other than a beginner course?

In Japan high school and junior high school classes all move together from subject to subject. For that reason, grades don't mix and people can't take different level classes.There are also (for the most part) no elective classes. They have introduced the concept, but right now for elective classes they can just choose from the core subjects during those elective periods. So, they can choose to have extra math classes or extra English classes ...

I can totaly see some of those kids getting picked on by jealous teachers. I imagine it's not an uncommon occurance in this kind of situation.

I do agree that Patrick's teachers should give the kids something else to do. Or allow those children's parents to provide materials for them to do instead of the school curriculum, but that opens up the school to a lot of problems. Why just these kids? Why not my kids? My kids don't need to sit through that lousy math teacher's class ...

I'm not saying I like it. Of course I wish my kids could do something productive with their time (when the times comes) but I think they'll have to sit through those classes and I don't expect the schools allow my children to skip out, nor do I think the teachers should have to prepare special lessons just for my kids.