View Single Post
Unread Nov 1st, 2008, 04:04 am
eslHQ Member

Jurubeba is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some of my students won't listen to me.

Well, I had the same problem last year with one student. Though she was only eleven, she could call everyone's attention, and wouldn't let me explain the subjects and stuff.
I think the best solution ever i to talk to the person first. I called her apart and told her the importance of learning Englih in today's world, a little bit of the effort that I made to prepare a nice class, and told her she was wasting not only the opportunity of learning English early, but also her mother's money. Then I asked her what she expected from the classes, what I could do for her, if she wanted to talk about sth. She kind of got it, and started trying to participate and doing all her late homework. Of course she hasn't changed overnight, but day after day I learned how to work with her.
Parents sometimes don't know how to make their children do sth important for themselves, and make them hate what they're forced into. It's up to us to change their mind. How to do that? I think each person has his/her own way. Anyway, good luck for you! I hope I helped.