View Single Post
Unread Nov 1st, 2008, 08:41 pm
eslHQ Zealot

crisholm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: semi-literate students

(I started to answer in good faith, but I'm really not sure about the question that's being asked - it does seem to be rather obvious!)
Well, for a start, they do not feel comfortable getting bunnies and teddy bears on their worksheets. They have grown out of that stage and even though they have learning difficulties, they feel they deserve the attention they need at their level, at their stage. A child flows along with mainstream education (which I personally think - but this is very personal, I admit- is based on their immaturity), while an adult who has not attained basic standards is conscious of his/her shortcomings and obviously does not like them being brought forth - they have learnt to manage. In a way, you have got to find the cleft through which you can preserve their battered self-image while you give them the break. Difficult, I admit. But possible if you show them you are willing to help.
Finally: a child's academic success is measured in terms of conforming to his/her class; an adult has to find success in the outer world. Any similarities?
(Beatrix, you are really a zealot!)

Last edited by crisholm : Nov 1st, 2008 at 08:43 pm. Reason: Afterthoughts