View Single Post
Unread Nov 2nd, 2008, 07:29 pm
eslHQ Member

alycefleming is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some of my students won't listen to me.

Hi everyone!!

I faced the same dilemma with a group of 60 odd grade 4 & 5 students in Shanghai...

Alot of the kids in the class have had enough experience with a forign teacher to understand what I am trying to explain... but they simply don't want to learn.

I think alot of this attitude comes from my previous teachers... they obviously didn't motivate the students at all and didn't take time to show the kids that English is important and doesn't have to be a drag!

I think motiviation is the key to stopping disruptive students! Alot of kids in my school don't understand that even if they don't want to learn... there are 29 other students in the class that may want too!

I agree with the previous comments.... let the kids know they are wasting their parents money (i wouldnt threaten to call parents etc as this automatically breaks their trust and often parents will make the situation worse by threatening more and more!)

and also try to talk to the problem students and find out their interests or what they want to learn about! I found this very helpful with my younger kids... I was teaching them about rainbows and then one day realised they were all soccer freaks! So even though the topics have changed.. they are talking more and more to me about football etc! We need to make classes as relevant as possible (without veering too much off the track) to keep kids interested and eager to learn new things!

I also refuse to spend my entire lesson concentrating on disciplining problem students.... I concentrate as much as possible on the kids that want to learn.... they will in the end get more out of the classes than those who don't and often there is nothing more i can do than teach to those who want to be taught! You can't force someone to learn if they truly don't want too.. you can only try!

Goodluck with your problem class!