View Single Post
Unread Jan 28th, 2009, 01:34 am
eslHQ Member

hamburgenglish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Plural of "Equipment" is...?

But guys you are misunderstanding something ... why do we use waters, seas, monies, ...?

Actually before I give the explanation, I must also admit that equipments does not sound so good, but I suppose it could be used.

Here is an explaination ...

For instance lets look at the word water. How can water become plural?

Firstly, the subject "water" cannot, but if we look at water in the context of seas, oceans, rivers, lakes, and we say that each one is water. Then they form a collective that cannot be merged together and will always remain separate and individual items. Therefore "I travel many waters to find my true love"

However there are some things that don't really work, for instance "sheep" it does not matter what type of sheep it is, we can form a merged collective, therefore they will always be sheep and not sheeps.

But English is alive and changes. English has differences based upon area, country, lifestyle and class (yuk I hate to admit it), therefore we should always be open to differences.

Rob

Last edited by Eric : Jan 28th, 2009 at 09:58 am. Reason: Removed website promotion from content of post.