View Single Post
Unread Mar 23rd, 2009, 08:39 am
eslHQ Zealot

English-coach is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Preparing Students for English Contests. Help!

Wow, that sure does sound like a lot of pressure. For you and the students.

Question: is this a group class? I assume so because you mentioned 9 students but you also said that their levels are different. This is something you will have to try to work on in the class. If they are one to one then it is ok. But trying to get people to speak in front of other students when their levels are different can be difficult.

I would say (if it is a group class). I could focus the class on individual work that comes together for activities that improve agility.

If each student is to prepare three topics, are you able to dictate which topics they choose? Like in the class they prepare the same three topics as a demo for how they can do it themselves?

I would provide some steps at the beginning of the course that you are going to break down and go through with them.

So for example:

How to choose a good topic for you?
How to lengthen your responses (connectors, statements, observations, describing etc)
How to buy time when answering questions (repeating the question or statements that buy a couple seconds...that is a very good question. I've never thought about it like that before...etc)

I would also have some sort of question periods with the class. So you pretend to be on the show. One student is in the "hot seat" while the other 8 form questions about the topic and the student answers them. (So everyone is working...questions and answers).

It also might be a go exercise to get the students to write out as many questions regarding their topic that they can think of. Relating it to culture, people, economics, government, health etc.

Basically my best advice would be to re-create the situation so they get used to the pressure. The pressure will make it harder for them, so get them comfortable being under pressure.