View Single Post
Unread Mar 23rd, 2009, 11:30 pm
eslHQ Zealot

kisito is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Preparing Students for English Contests. Help!

Thanks for these amazing tips. I will try them in the next training session. Sorry I didn't mention clearly that the students will all be in one group. I started the lessons yesterday and had to deal with the mixed level challenge. It went well as students performed well according to their levels in giving speeches. I will be focusing on posture and gestures next week. I asked them to write a brief introduction of themselves and present it. I started with myself. I got them asking questions about me. As they asked I put their questions under a topic eg name, family - and gave them their answer. I left the information on the board and then asked them to give similar information about themselvese. Using topics as cue words like - name, hobbies, family, city, I asked them to introduce themselves briefly. Next I asked them to write a full page to self-introduce and they did great. We practised saying the speeches. Some students really did great with the fluency part. The challenge was to get natural gestures as they spoke. At the end of another hour each student had kind of got the idea.
It is one of those challenging lessons that you start with a rough plan make up the rest as you go along. Your tips are highly appreciated.