View Single Post
Unread Apr 18th, 2009, 09:30 am
eslHQ Zealot

Pix is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oral ESL for Adults--Help!

Quote:
Quote Ster View Post
I have been a teacher for 7 years, but this is my first time teaching a group of adults. They are all university graduates and working people, between the ages of 25-40. I have no idea what to do with these people as they can speak English quite well already and have no problems expressing themselves on any topic. They do not understand the concept of playing English learning games (20 questions was a total flop). Can someone help? The school expects me to provide all the materials and lesson plans.

Thank you so much!!

Hi there

Well I'm a great believer in getting the students to do the work, often including preparation. If they are involved in preparing for the class they are v. likely to be more engaged when the lesson comes around.

So for example I do a demo in class such as a role-play where students are divided in to groups and each person takes on a character with a specific agenda.

The boss: stressed and wanting to fire the personnel manager but very very keen on keeping the secretary, even if he is often late or absent, because when he is there, his work is good and he knows the ropes as he has been in the job a long time
The secretary: always off-sick and not motivated, wants a pay rise.
The personnel manager: wanting to fire the secretary

And so on.

So you set one of these up and perform it with a demo group. Then let the class have a go. Then you ask them all to prepare one of their own for the next class.

The scenarios can be relevant to the students needs so if you have medical students the role-plays can be situations in hospitals.

At the next class students take it in turns acting out as many role-plays as possible in small groups. You keep the best ones as part of your portfolio of resources.

And there you go - an idea requiring no resources, no photocopies and no prep time for the teacher - that's the kind of thing I like!

More games and ideas like that in my book of 194 games and activities for teaching teens and adults (mostly for intermediates and up)

ESL Games and Activities for adults

Shelley

PS By the way they will cotton on to the value of using games if you explain that they are effectively grammar drills to help accuracy, or they are fluency exercises. If you make them realise they have a serious purpose that should help. Adults don't want to feel they are wasting time.

Last edited by Pix : Jul 3rd, 2022 at 10:11 am. Reason: update link