View Single Post
Unread May 3rd, 2009, 08:34 am
eslHQ Zealot

STCrowley is on a distinguished road
Default Re: School or Language Company?

I've never actually heard the term "Language Company" until you used it. I'd guess that where I work--Berlitz--counts as a Language Company, though we call ourselves a school. The reason I say that is that the emphasis is on making money, not on teaching. . . and if you're a 'purist,' that might bother you. (It bothers me sometimes, though I'm really a capitalist at heart.)

But, to teach at what I consider a 'real' school you normally need a degree. . . And I'm not willing to return to university for a few years to do a job that I'm basically doing already. (With the difference that, when your students are paying to learn, they're generally more motivated. . . I don't think you'd have that with public school students.)

So, my advice would be this: start at a company. From there you can transition to a community college (at least, you could if you lived in Germany) if you want to do something less commercial.
-Toby