View Single Post
Unread Jun 17th, 2009, 09:22 am
eslHQ Member

softballwidow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Activities/Games for Large Kindergarten Classes

I teach English classes for Japanese children who range in age from 3-15. I purchased about 20 fly swatters, and then printed, and laminated multiple sets of small flashcards. This past week I was teaching professions, so I split my class of 15 kids, into groups of 5. I then gave each group of stack of 30 cards (15 pairs of different professions). I have them lay them face up, and then I call out a name of one of the cards. Whoever slaps the card first adds it to their pile. I repeat this game a couple of times, and they love it. At the end of each game we add up how many cards they each have, and we see who has the most.

The following week instead of having pairs of cards, I will replace a picture card with the actual word. For example, I would have 1 card with a bus driver on it, and another card with the word bus driver on it. I tell them that the picture cards are worth 1 point, and the word cards are worth 2 points.

Before we play each time, I warn them that if they hit their fellow classmates with the fly swatters they have to sit out. I have some rowdy boys, and have never had to make any of them sit out because they all want to play so badly.

I hope this helps.