View Single Post
Unread Jul 25th, 2009, 08:00 am
eslHQ Addict

teachingenglishmadeeasy is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Your strategies for large classes

Quote:
Quote PeachBlossom View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new on this site...(still don't know how to create my own message..). Thanks to you all for the good advice on how to teach large classes. I probably need your help too...I have a college class of 30 students in their twenties. I once gave them a game which worked really well with all other classes (The "Olympics" competition to teach comparatives/superlatives), but didn't work at all with them...I gave them board games, with just a little more success...We spend 3 hours together each time (once a week), so I have to find at least 1 activity to help them relax before we get back to the lesson (if possible, with some educational value; otherwise, just seeing them liven up would make my day...). One more thing about this class: the room is very small, so no possibility to do activity where students can stand up and move in the class....Please tell me how I could make it livelier (any games you can think of, that I could give them, without having to ask them to stand up...?). Thanks a lot in advance for your help!! (Just tried this morning -with another class, and in a big room...- the game "There is a.../ there are some...", and making a new country, ...worked really well!!! Thanks a lot!!!)
Hi Peach and welcome!

With a class that size, I'd say, if you are aiming for an activity, go outside and incorporate their immediate surroundings with whatever you are teaching them. Change the atmosphere up. Move the desks out of the room one day. If you have them guessing, you will be able to keep their attention. I've done this a few times and it has worked wonders!

Also, perhaps, you could tell us a little more about your objectives. Then, we can really get you going!

Ralph

Free Downloadable Resources
www.ralphsesljunction.com