View Single Post
Unread Jul 25th, 2009, 11:41 am
eslHQ Member

PeachBlossom is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: Your strategies for large classes

Hi Ralph, and thanks for your message!!

Actually I wish I could have done more things, but there are not many alternatives in terms of place and different environment (the students can re-arrange the seats, but it takes a lot of time, and we still don’t have much room). I just tried this week a game that worked well with the class (the class is divided in 3 rows. The students in the first row read a sentence and have to whisper to the next student…and so on, the last student has to shout the sentence correctly), they went wild, you can’t imagine how I felt when I saw them so excited, for the first time!! But I’m just afraid this is a one-time situation.

The college students are generally below standard. This class is supposed to have an Intermediate level, but the topics/the vocabulary they’re supposed to learn are too difficult for them to be able to express themselves fluently. So this is my challenge: adapt the lesson to their level and make it interesting enough not to lose my students, while trying not to oversimplify the notions they’re supposed to study. I often use pictures to illustrate the vocab, but it’s still difficult to get them make full and correct sentences (this could be the subject of another thread…).

I’m aware that they’re not the only ones to blame, my teaching methods certainly need to be changed. I probably tend to stick to the book too much, I haven’t managed to find the right way to make a “serious” topic become more interesting and appealing…

Can I ask you what kinds of activities involve the students guessing and most importantly, how you do that (any practical tips…), because I think it’s like telling a funny story….some people do it very well, while some others…

Thanks again for your answer, Ralph!!
Hope to hear from you soon!!
Peach