View Single Post
Unread Sep 13th, 2009, 08:30 am
eslHQ Member

martyboy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help with teaching kids english as a second language!?From where do i start?

I will tell you my experience. I am semi-retired in the UK and decided to do some voluntary teaching in Thailand. I am not a career teacher, coincidentally I am a lawyer. But as I have argued until I am blue in the face, you can stand there clutching your degree certificate, masters certificate in applied linguistics or even your doctorate in applied mathematics and it doesn't make diddly squat. Just witness an 'unqualified' EFL teacher of many years experience and you will see what I mean. It's an acquired skill, a special thing that comes sometimes in a very short time. Trying to pitch your lessons at the level you imagine your students to be is very difficult. The way I got round it was to buy a good students course book like New Headway Beginner (but for very young students Oxford, Cambridge Press etc will advise you.) A workbook at that level which contains excercises and are really good. And tons of games, word puzzles, warm-ups etc drawn off the internet. These course books are written by people who know their stuff. I could never just dream up lessons. It's surprising as you work through the lessons you start to add your own bits, enhance it etc. from your own experience of English. I spend a lot of the class time in dealing with pronunciation and a game. The lesson develops.
Ascertain if your school follows a set course book. If it doesn't you will really earn your money without one. Get one or two, a workbook etc and make sure you can use the photocopier because you will need to give students (or a small group) a copy of the lesson. Read one and see the methodology. Good luck. When it works there is real joy.