View Single Post
Unread Oct 11th, 2009, 10:11 am
eslHQ Zealot

STCrowley is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Going Independent. . . Or not?

Wow. . . You did a bit of fast research on me. Yes, I live in Dresden, Germany. And, more or less, for good. (My wife also lives here. . . and I don't think I could do ESL in the States. And I don't have any other experience. . . or want to find another career.)

That said, I guess my situation is a little different from yours. In Germany, it's more normal to hire teachers on a 'freelance' basis, as opposed to a 'yearly contract.' That means that, if my school can sell lessons for €40/40min, I get €13.50/40min. . . but, if they can't sell any lessons, I'm up the proverbial creek. It also means that I'm not getting any of the 'amazing' social benefits that most German employees get.

And, it's really the discrepancy between what the school is paid and how much of the money makes it to me that has me looking at going 'independent.' But, also, because I'm freelance, I can work for the school while setting out on my own. (Though the school gives fewer hours to the teachers who say 'I can't work that day, I have other plans,' so it's not a perfect plan.)

My guess--and maybe you can tell me what you think--is that I can 'undercut' the school by offering lessons for €30 or €35. I don't really know what to ask for from students, because, well, I know a lot of my students see price as a sign of quality. And, besides, if get twice the cost, I should be able to get by with half as many hours, right?

As for a room. . . That's something I'd like to avoid. I don't know anything about it, and, well. . . it makes me crazy. I've thought about teaching at the equivalent of a community college here (they basically rent you their name and a room in their building, you set the course fees, the way I understand it). But, mostly, since I've started teaching in different companies' buildings, I've started wondering if I need a room.

I mean, my school (and, yeah, it's more a business), has rooms, but more and more of the work is going to the company and teaching there. So, why would I need more than a home office?

My questions for you: how did you advertise? Have you 'moved' into a location outside your house?

What do you use for materials?
-Toby