View Single Post
Unread Oct 30th, 2009, 10:59 am
eslHQ Zealot

alawton is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Privately Tutoring 6yr old - Help needed

Hello,

I actually had a similar situation when I taught at a middle school, but with a different language. I was teaching ESL, but I also speak Spanish. One of the teachers in my school had a daughter and she wanted me to privately tutor her. I agreed, but like you, I didn't have any materials.

Like you mentioned, it is more difficult with one student. The games don't work as well, if they work at all. That being said, there are a few games that I did use with this one student. If you are presenting vocabulary, you can make a game of concentration for the child to play. On one card you would have the vocabulary word, and on the other you'd have a picture of the word. Have the student make the picture of the word.

You can write out sentences that include the target vocabulary and grammar that you are covering and cut out each word. Mix up the words and have the student put the sentence in order. Take a reading passage (it can be very basic) and white out some of the words. Have the student guess what the missing word should be. Give him the options on the board.

Having just one student is tough, but it is doable. Thanks