View Single Post
Unread Dec 21st, 2009, 11:58 am
eslHQ Member

revel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 5 Steps to an English Only Classroom

Hey all!

Here in Spain, the majority of the teachers in the regular school system are non-native teachers. They may have more or less control over the spoken language, but the problem is that they teach their classes exclusively in English, which leads to the problem that I face as a "review" teacher.

Students need clear explanations of grammar and vocabulary. If these explanations are given in a language that they do not understand, they never come to grips with the basics and the problems accumulate through their learning of the language.

Though, as I mention in my earlier comments, English-Only in certain activities is the best way to go about those activities, the idea that the kids will learn somehow through osmosis just because the teacher only speaks English is (IMHO) just silly and a waste of time and the cause for my having had to explain these concepts in Spanish to kids who are failing their English classes.

These non-native teachers are working under the false assumption that using English only in the classroom, not using L1 to explain and clarify, is the best way to go about things. The incredible failure rate is proof that such is not true. I am a native speaker and am very very against the "English Only" philosophy except in cases where students are able to defend themselves in English and need conversational practice.

peace,
revel.