View Single Post
Unread Mar 21st, 2010, 10:16 am
eslHQ Member

Lorna G is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Difficult Class!

Hello and thank you for your interest.

They have basic English and I think they studied when they were at school. I would say they are below pre-intermediate level but better than basic English if that makes sense. I've only taught them twice and haven't been given much background. I've covered adverbs of frequency and I know their other teacher covered some basic grammar but I don't know what! They can carry on conversations but with very broken English with incorrect tenses. I'm required to teach them business English that relates to their work but I try to be general and would like our lessons to be more creative, interactive and fun! They just don't seem to enjoy the lessons and they talk in their native tongue to each other which can be a bit rude. We are quite close in age so I don't know if that has any factor. I have tried question cards with them and asked for their opinions on for and against subjects. These have probably been the two exercises where they have become the most animated. I haven't tried dialogue exercises. I just don't know where to start really and find lessons with them a bit draining and difficult. Any help would be very much appreciated!