View Single Post
Unread Apr 13th, 2010, 03:48 am
eslHQ Member

Ashley.kantor is on a distinguished road
Default Conversation Activities for 12-18 year olds

Hello,

I'm teaching English at a school in Spain where I'm supposed to be a "conversation auxiliary" for every grade--3 year olds to high schoolers. I have the middle- and high-schoolers less often and less regularly than my younger students. Sometimes I have the whole class together (20-30 students), sometimes I have smaller groups from the class for a half hour or full hour.

We're supposed to speak about what they're learning in class but most of my students are not very good, or they are too embarrassed to even try. I get few responses when I directly ask questions. I'm looking for speaking activities or games that require little to no preparation or materials, and that encourage general speaking or can be adapted to cover different topics.

One great game that my students love is called the "forehead game." Write the names of famous people (singers, politicians, cartoon characters, etc.) that your students will know on post-it notes, and stick one on each student's forehead, so they don't see the name but everyone else does. (You may have the students write the names for their classmates, but this might take a while.) The students must go around in a circle and try to figure out who they are by asking yes or no questions--for example, "Am I an actress? Am I American?" This game is great because it involves everyone and students at different levels can play--and it's fun! But there's only so many times I can use that activity.

This website has been very helpful, I'd really appreciate any tips! Thanks!