View Single Post
Unread Jun 19th, 2010, 04:18 am
eslHQ Member

paiyaku is on a distinguished road
Default Can I make enough money to support a family as an ESL Teacher?

Hi, I'm new to the forums, I'm going to college in Texas with a major in English and a minor in Education. I have heard ESL Teachers don't get to retire. I've heard ESL Teachers don't make enough money to support a family. Then I've heard the ESL Teachers do make enough money to support a family. So which is it? I don't want to invest time and money in school towards a career that will put me in poverty. When I start a family I want them to not worry when their next meal is or if they will get presents for their birthday, etc. I don't want my family to be poor. Do ESL Teachers make good money or do the make barely enough to survive? I'm on Dave's ESL site and still I can't find an answer.

One country in particular I'm looking at living in and teaching in is China. If anyone can help me out, that would mean so much to me.

I know my English is bad on this post, so please don't nitpick it. It's 4:15am where I am so I'm pretty tired. I just want to know the truth. I love travel and want my family, when I start one, to be with me in my travels, but I don't want my family to suffer for my dream fulfillment.

Thank You