View Single Post
Unread Jun 20th, 2010, 09:35 am
eslHQ Member

PharoahKeS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can I make enough money to support a family as an ESL Teacher?

China is one of the lower paying countries to teach ESL in so yes it will be a struggle to raise a family on that salary alone. I believe it's under 1k a month. Japan pays the most but the living expenses there are also higher. South Korea seems to be the best place for saving money. The cost of living here in South Korea is very low and the pay is very good. I get about 2.3k a month and that's with free housing, just pay utilities (which are under 80$ a month) The money here is enough to raise a family as the difference between my salary and the Korean teachers salary is almost the same (ESL teacher might be higher even).

I think the only people who find the money to be tight here are the ones that go binge drinking every weekend or do more traveling then working. I've had no trouble saving up a nice down payment for a house when I go back home in 1 years worth of teaching.

The thing about retiring is I dunno how you'd support yourself afterwards...your not a native of the country so you don't really get any social benefits your just a temporary citizen who has to leave the country every year to reapply for a work visa. Most ESL teachers who go abroad stay for 1-5 years and then go back home and either become a teacher or get a different job they are interested in. Very few actually stay for the long haul. It's a good experience to open your eyes, earn some cash, and learn. I treat it like a job though and not a career. I know when my year is up I'll have to find a real career.

Last edited by PharoahKeS : Jun 20th, 2010 at 09:43 am. Reason: Added info.