View Single Post
Unread Mar 1st, 2005, 11:39 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

chocopie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote Eun Cho
Is (I'm coming along my mother to the party) correct?
Or (I'm coming along with my mother to the party) correct?

----------------------------------------------------------
Can object keep people company?
Example: If I watched TV during the holiday, could I say
the TV kept me company?

----------------------------------------------------------
What is the exact meaning of elaborate?
Can you explain with examples?

#1: Never say "I'm coming along my mother to the party". It sounds strange for a few reasons. Your other sentence - "I'm coming along with my mother to the party" is still a little awkward grammatically. At the very least you need a sentence clause in there.

What are you trying to say? Are you going to the party together with your mother? Then it would be better to say "I'm going to the party with my mother". Or, are you going to a party, and your mother is going too (but you won't arrive together)? Then you could say "I'm coming, along with my mother, to the party". This just confirms that you both will be attending the party.

#2: Usually only people or animals can keep you company. You can say "I had the tv for company", but you would be saying this in a ironic, sarcastic, or funny way. The tv of course is not really keeping you company because it is inanimate, but by saying this you are making a little joke about being alone. This is difficult to explain as humour doesn't translate well. Probably it's easiest just to say that no, an inanimate object can't keep you company.

#3: Elaborate can be used in 2 different ways. It can be either a verb or an adjective.

As a adjective it can mean 1) something that is planned or carried out with great care, e.g. "The school took elaborate precautions to prevent the students from cheating" or 2) Something that is very complex or heavily decorated, e.g. "Her hat was very elaborately decorated - it had at least 10 ribbons and 15 flowers on it".

As a verb, "to elaborate" means to explain something in more detail. For example "I didn't understand his plan the first time he explained it, so I asked him to elaborate".

Hope this helps you.