View Single Post
Unread Jul 6th, 2006, 09:30 am
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help with variable proficiency and a wide age range.

you're living near jirisan? lucky! its beautiful down there!

Quote:
Quote redcopper
Question. Is it a good idea to split the class into groups and allow one of the more advanced kids to lead a group in say how to read the word "apple" for a 5 or 10 minute session in the 45 minutes?
i wouldnt have your advanced kids lead the less advanced kids unless you were very confident that the advanced kids are solid in what they would be teaching.

its a tough situation for sure. im not sure if this would be possible but i might try something like the following. it might not be super effecient but you could at least try to meet everyone's needs. why not introduce whatever material to your youngest students for the first 5-10 minutes of class. then give them an activity to practice it. while their practicing, introduce material to your older students. its not ideal but you might be able to address most needs.

another thing you could do is to split your class into 25 minute segments (25 for advanced ss, 25 for younger ss). then you could have focused 'power lessons'. if you assign homework so students are familiar with what you'll be covering before they arrive you could get through more material.

i hope that helps,
eric