View Single Post
Unread Jan 18th, 2011, 12:10 pm
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: simple past or present perfect??

There is very little difference between British and American varieties of English, englishbaby. Or for that matter between those and Australian, New Zealand, Canadian, South African, Falklands Islands or any other variety of the language. There will be accent differences, some vocabulary differences, and a very few grammatical differences. But that happens within the country too. If I go to the North of England the accent is very different to my southern British accent. There are vocabulary differences - I'll use anyway while my Northern friends might say anyroad. And grammatical differences : I might say I was sitting, they might say I was sat. But these are all minor variations and you can usually count the number of the important ones on your fingers. The same with US/UK English. if you look at the posts on this forum, I'm sure you would generally have difficulty identifying the nationality of the writers just from the language they use. Unless one of the few differences happens to be used in the message, it's impossible to tell.