View Single Post
Unread Apr 10th, 2005, 08:43 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road

I am not 100% on this but i believe private tutoring is illegal in Japan unless you claim/pay tax off the money you make from them. That being said, many people still do them.

Japan might be an easier place to "ease" into asia. it seems very organized to me though i have never worked there, just traveled. it seems more western/european in that it is a very creative and artistic place. Korea is not so much. Judging from your "World Map" it looks like you have been to both Japan and Korea so you probably already have a good sense of what to expect.

visas: yes, i think it will be easier to get a working visa in japan for non-teaching related stuff. in korea you are much more limited.

housing: we got our own housing this year and it was relatively painless. as long as one person (ie. your wife) has a legit visa you can pick/rent your own place. i like it much better that way though it will help if you have someone that can help you at the realators.

hour for hour you can save more money in korea. the cost of living is low and so is transportation within the country. not so for japan. i know some people who just live off their private lesson money and never touch a single Won (penny) of their salary, which is at least 1700USD/mth.

what are you basing your decision on? ease of life? convenience? money making potential? adventure/experience?

either way, you will enjoy yourself in both places. they both have unique qualities about them to make everyday interesting. (im speaking mostly for korea because i've never lived in japan though i expect that it would be just as interesting but in a different way).

later
eric