View Single Post
Unread Sep 7th, 2006, 08:09 pm
eslHQ Zealot

Pix is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Interaction in the classroom

When I decide how to handle a particular lesson, I think about how I would prefer to learn the material. I think that a lot of people really dread “lecture” type lessons and classes as they are easy to zone out in (okay, maybe some kids like these so they CAN just zone out. )
Seriously, though, especially when learning a language it makes so much more sense to have hands-on learning so that the material becomes more real. If the teacher were to try to incorporate this “hands-on” experience to the students on a one-on-one basis, a large portion of the class would be doing nothing. By having them work together, the students learn by doing and by teaching their peers.
Take using games, for example. The games, which require varying forms of cooperative learning, become a vehicle to frequent exposure to the word, mechanic, concept that you’re teaching and students get to repeat that word, mechanic or concept often throughout the game because they are working together in smaller groups or teams instead of waiting for each student to complete the task in front of the class.