Thread: Course books
View Single Post
Unread Sep 15th, 2006, 08:48 pm
eslHQ Member

dania is on a distinguished road
Default Course books

I teach efl adults in Quebec. My first gripe is that there seems to be great esl books but not efl books. For a French speaker the esl books only use english and there is never any reference to how a french speaker can pronounce english words (so basically esl books) There is a great deal of esl and business esl course books in British english, but I'm finding it very hard to find resources for American english. I have used Focus on Grammer, but it really is esl with many out of class work involving speaking to native speakers. I would like to find something that is business oriented but not specific. My clients do not live in English speaking communities and only use english in a business context. So course books which involve a lot of face to face conversation (ordering at a restaurant, making hotel reservations, arranging a room for a conference, asking directions etc.) is useless for them. Although the language may be useful they feel it is irrelevent to them. So I've found that a lot of books have a lot of things I would not be presenting (meaning wasting big money and boring my students). Also I would like to find somekind of listening resource that has many american accents. Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want phone calls to the doctor's office, but stuff that deals with customer service type phone calls. Does anything exist? Ineed books that would also have grammar points and explainations. I am currently not using books. I decided to print out documents with information. And am using a lot of time rewriting documents from grammar books I have (as to not infringe on copy rights) and changing texts to talk about business situations but it is extremely time consuming and costs me more money than if student bought a book outright.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.