View Single Post
Unread Oct 18th, 2006, 05:49 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do you determine whether a class was a success?

Quote:
Quote Mr. E English
For me a class is a success if I've achieved my lesson aims, the students have advanced their language knowledge / ability (even just a tiny wee bit!) and eveyone had an enjoyable time!

Difficult to achieve!!
Yes I agree. As a trainer I watch a lot of lessons. I've seen some where the students have had a whale of a time - a couple where the teacher even got a round of applause - but which were a total waste of time from the learning point of view. In others the lesson plan may have been fine but the teacher either terrified the students or (more usually) just bored them to death - which also doesn't help learning.

You need a balance. The students need to like/respect the teacher and feel at ease in the classroom. the more they enjoy the lesson the more learning (I think) is liable to take place. But enjoyment should never take over from learning. There have to be clear learning aims, and a series of activities carried out in such a way that the students learn something or improve in some way at the same time as having fun.

That's edutainment ...