View Single Post
Unread Nov 1st, 2006, 08:37 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road
Question Teaching in Korea

Hello. I hope someone could help me. I have been in Korea for about a year and I seem to learn about teaching everyday. Anyways, before I ask my question I would really like to introduce the environment where I am teaching to give anyone with more experience some idea about my query.

I work at a typical Hagwon in Korea out of Seoul and have had a rocky time at the Hagwon since working there a year ago. I started around that time and found the management of the Hagwon lacked any motivation to lead the school or give it a direction for others to see and work towards. So I started working there and really was thrown in the deep end. No observational offered and thought "bugger". Anyhow, I worked hard to understand what to do and what not to do during classes and built up a professional yet relaxed relationship with the students.

As the management of the Hagwon are at best slightly relaxed at managing and at worst giving me the responsibility to manage the Institute when things get tough, in a strange "knee-jerk" reactional way, is this sort of thing common in Korea from Hagwons where the directors have next to no English or prior relevant experience? Secondly, is it common for Koreans to teach English in a text book manner even though the Koreans teaching have no conversational skills?

I am the only native teacher at this school so I have no other natives to bounce ideas of and the students have no one else to speak to. It is starting to get annoying with this Institute now and am thinking of seriously opening a Hagwon in the future because I believe I could do a better job than the directors I work for.

Sorry for the big post or the ranting on.