View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)  
Unread Jan 26th, 2012, 02:02 am
KCCHAN KCCHAN is offline
eslHQ Member
Join Date: Oct 18th, 2011
Posts: 19
KCCHAN is on a distinguished road
Default A Dictionary of the English Language

HI, I have several English problems, and I desperately need your help.

In the preface of A Dictionary of the English Language, by S. Johnson, I find "the English", which does not mean the people but the language. However, I always write "English" or "the English language", to represent the same thing. Is "the English" not accepted nowadays?


Another question: is there any term specifically referring to teachers other than MR or MRS, like REVEREND to a clergyman?

Also, apart from "leave out" is there another verb for the action of ellipsis?

"in the range of 0 to/and 1 "←which word should be used?

"for use of sth/ for ease of understanding" .....why is there not a definite article?I found them in a dictionary, and a teacher told me that it is correct to leave out THE, and that it is unaccountable. Was he correct?
Reply With Quote