View Single Post
Unread Nov 17th, 2006, 11:28 am
eslHQ Member

natalia22 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: funny game for a private student

hi there guys

I teach a nine-year-old-boy who is quite nervous and gets distracted easily. I convinced him that we have to study grammar, do some reading and some writing activities but at the end of the class he's often bored and I play with him pictionary, naughts and crosses, bingo, etc

These are easy games which you can adapt to your needs and the topic you're teaching. there are many ways to do this, mine are as follows (i sort of change a little the games to make it more difficult, enjoyable, useful,)

Pictionary:
I cut out 20 card rectangles and write different things on them such as: a boy riding a bike, a girl playing tennis, a bear jumping..(or any other topic or grammar point you want to revise) then i put them in an envelope and play the game. the student has to pick one from the envelope (without me looking at the card) and tries to draw what is written on it. The other had to guess what it's being drawn. You can also give extra points for first guessing, second guessing, etc and use the points in the same game or elsewhere.

Students of all ages find this game super funny and it's cero cost for you.

Naughts and Crosses:

well this game is quiet useless if you don't put a little imagination into it. First i cut out some cards and write incomplete sentences, questions or ask them to say something on them such as:

I ...... Tv at three o'clock (they have to complete with "watch")
Has a cat got a long neck?
Where does a dolphin live?
Name five parts of your body
etc

when they pick one card they have to answer the question or complete the sentence or whatever it is asked on the card.
If their answer is complete and correct they get to write a naught or a cross (whichever they choose) on the grid. The winner is the one who gets three naughts or three crosses in a line.

Bingo:

of course i don't have to explain this game but one thing i always do is use flashcards (you can use some you already printed for another topic area) to revise vocabulary

They make a grid on a blank sheet of paper, leaving nine squares to write words in.

you show the students the flashcards and tell them to choose nine of them and write the names of those objects or actions or whatever the flashcards are about in the squares they have just drawn.

you put the flashcards in an envelope and one by one the start picking up one until one gets all the words they have written. They love it!

hope this helps!