View Single Post
Unread Mar 5th, 2012, 06:19 pm
eslHQ Member

Arkay is on a distinguished road
Question Can anyone help please?

Hi all

I am South African and very interested in teaching in South Korea or elsewhere and as far as I can gather from most sites that I have visited on the internet, I meet most of the necessary requirements (I have a degree in Youth work and just completed an Honours degree in Psychology- no TEFL/ TESL though, but would be willing to complete a course).

The problem I face is that my criminal background check would not be clean as I pleaded guilty to three DUI charges in 2008, 2010 and2011. These offences were due to plain stupidity on my part and the result of losing my way in life a bit. I have however gotten my life back on track and would like to fulfil my dream of working abroad.

What would be my chances of obtaining a visa to be able to teach or work? According to some sites I wouldn't have a chance at all, while others state that as long as it isn't drug- or sexual offence related it wouldn’t be a problem. I spoke to someone at the South Korean embassy in SA over the phone and they said any criminal record is unacceptable. Are there countries which do not have such strict policies or is there perhaps somewhere one could state your case in order to obtain a visa for Korea? What other countries might be options? Korea would however be my first choice as I have a loved one already there.(Jinju)

Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated.