View Single Post
Unread Dec 19th, 2006, 09:00 pm
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What level of English should a non-naive teacher have?

Emile, I wasn't really suggesting a particular country as each country has their own unique culture. But I believe that it is very important for a non-native to understand the culture of communication compared to their home country. For example, American culture is regarded as polycentric, independent and low context (Edward Hall). Korean culture is more ethnocentric, team orientated and high context (Edward Hall). This is really what I was pointing at rather than suggesting a particular culture, as you may be aware each country has their own culture and would be quite silly to suggest one country's culture.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say. For example, if I moved to America I would have to adjust to the American way of doing things, culturally, as I am British. But I have never heard of the term "global culture" - I suppose you mean geocentric culture.

Nonetheless, it is important for native teachers to understand the differences in communication culturally to better understand their colleagues and their students, as well as survive in the country they are living. But it is also the responsibility of non-natives to understand and appreciate the culture from an English Speaking country, albeit Denmark, Britain, America, Canada or South Africa.