View Single Post
Unread May 19th, 2005, 07:06 pm
Administrator

little sage is on a distinguished road

Oh, no no. I've given the wrong impression. I took calligraphy lessons 2 years ago and enjoyed it but got frustrated at my lack of talent. I certainly have no work I would ever show. I wouldnt even show it to friends

When I was taking lessons, I studied with kids. Actually some of the same kids I was teaching at my hagweon, which was fun (and enlightening- suddenly I realized they acted the same way everywhere, not just with the foreign teacher). Anyway, my teacher was hardcore. I had to do everything properly. I had to make my own ink every time I went there. The kids had bottles and I thought it was just ink that someone had premade for them and saved. Much, much later I saw it for sale in a stationery shop!

I'm sure using the ink stick is more than purity, and is more about quality. The more expensive ones you buy are made with better materials and have different smells. You can also prepare the ink to the thickness you like, though there is a correct thickness that works best. And I suppose it would be much safer to travel with an ink stick than with the bottle At least for me it is.

Granted, what I needed at the time was something convenient to motivate me to practice more. If you're more about spontaneity, I suppose the bottled ink is the way to go.

Thanks for the info about Insadong. I hardly ever go there, but when I do I usually zoom past the galleries. It's too bad your show there didn't sell anything. I can't believe they charge such a fee for such a short time. Is that similar to North America?