View Single Post
Unread Nov 16th, 2012, 07:33 am
eslHQ Member

djkirstyjay is on a distinguished road
Default Re: resources for interactive whiteboard

The bane of my existence is the use of different browsers and the incompatibilities between them.

Yes, feel free to send me the files for a game. Are all the games 'fed' the questions in the same way? Do the images and audio have to be hosted and the link to their location stored in the XML?...

Another suggestion would be to have the questions taken randomly from a 'pool' of questions on the same subject or level, and a massive database containing them all which could be added to whenever to increase the 'pool'. The reason I suggest this, is that the main problem that comes up with my classes, is that I can't use the same game twice, as the questions are the same and in he same order, so the students get to know the answers.

Fortunately this time I have left a big enough gap between lessons so that the questions have remained fresh but if you had a database that ALL the games connected to, and you had a section before the game starts where the teacher could select the subject (family, school, etc) and the level - (elementary, beginner, pre-intermediate, etc) and then the game would only use the questions with the correct level and subject in the game, but also use them 'randomly'. Therefore is there were 100 questions on one subject and the game used 50 random questions then the games would always be new and fresh...

You could even have a form on your site where teachers could submit questions direct to the database (with approval before they go live on the games, of course) which would increase the database of questions exponentially over time.

The great thing is, that a game would only need to be made ONCE, rather than having different copies of the same one, meaning that your time could be spent developing new games, which would all ultimately link into the same database of questions.

Anyway... I'm just thinking aloud I am not a Flash programmer, so couldn't begin to comment on the workload of making one of these fantastic games, but I do have some experience writing PHP and databases - so can understand how it works.

My email is info[at]englishtenerife.com if you want to contact me.

PS: I personally thing the whole process of choosing your own character at the beginning is almost as much fun for the kids as the game, and an excellent conversation point for revising descriptions too