View Single Post
Unread Nov 20th, 2012, 01:48 am
eslHQ Member

Andreika is on a distinguished road
Default Teaching ESL to a very active child

Hi everyone! And thank you for such a great forum with lots of very interesting ideas, especially for the ones who are just beginning to teach.

I have a question about teaching ESL to a 5-year old kid who is very active and pretty spoiled (although he seems smart). I was asked to be a private tutor for him and I’ve never taught English to such little ones before. I did work in pre-K for a while, but kids were in a classroom setting and they knew that they are at school and have to behave well. In this case the boy is at home and he can just start running and jumping and speaking only his native language (Russian) at any time. His attention span is very short, and although we had only one lesson yet – I’m afraid I might not be able to handle this without some advice from more experienced teachers. It’s his parents who want him to learn English – not him, so he doesn’t seem to do any effort in trying to be a good student and he has everything (so stickers, nice flash cards and colourful books are not very interesting to him). If someone had any experience or ideas – I’d be very grateful. This is a very challenging experience for me.