View Single Post
Unread Feb 8th, 2013, 10:53 pm
I like it hot!

Denis DNT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help!!! - Advice on 90 - minute listening and speaking classes

Hi,
I currently prepare students for IELTS. I might have a few useful ideas for you.
1. What score are your IELTS students aiming at?
2. What's the first language of your students. My students are Chinese native speakers.
Here are some speaking activities I have in my classes:
1. Audio files exchange: I give out speaking topics to students. They do the speaking at home and record everything using the recorders on their cellphones. All the Mp3 files are then played in class. We all listen to them together, point out mistakes and correct them. Students who do very well share their files (usually using Bluetooth) with the other students. I have enjoyed this activity as it makes the lesson less boring.
2. If your students have a very low English level try lots of question and answer sessions beginning from very simple questions. In such classes I have a rule. "Never answer a question with less than 4 words" It is a useful rule to help them stop shying away from speaking.
.>> You can find many of my students at our IELTS group located here at this link. The group also has a lot of IELTS speaking topics and useful vocabulary for practice. You might want to connect them with your students to help motivate them.
>> We also have great videos full of IELTS tips here.

All the best
Denis
Click here to join.