View Single Post
Unread Mar 7th, 2007, 08:41 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Currently Seeking Pro Work

My first job that I got the guy played that game of, "if you don't sign this right now, i'll give the job to someone else".

It was my first job and it came recommended so of course I signed right away. The rest of my jobs, I've been the pushy one, pressuring them to prepare a contract or give a decision.

I think you are making the right decision by waiting and taking your time. I think there is a foreign teacher shortage in Korea and you have more qualifications than a lot of teachers so you are going to be sought after even more.

That being said, it could go the other way. You could really love the job you interviewed for and they may say they are going to hire you but it takes weeks/months to get you a contract, visa, etc... This very thing happened to my wife. She was hired by a uni and signed the contract but she still needed her visa papers so she could do a visa run in the short time between her old job and new job. She waited and waited and they just didn't understand the urgency of getting the visa papers. Finally, it was too late and she had to leave the country because her current visa was expiring. She told them that she was going to have to miss the first 1-3 days of class because she'd be in Japan waiting for a new visa. They yelled at her telling her she was letting down the parents of the students at the school. From there it turned into a huge argument and she ended up quitting the job she never started. In the end, everything worked out but she spent that semester unemployed.

Anyway, my point is, I know it's frustrating dealing with the pressure (or sometimes the lack of pressure) but try to take that in stride. I think it's more important that you have a good feeling about the potential workplace. Are the hours good? Pay? Co-workers? Housing? etc... Do you get a good feeling from your potential employers? Do previous teachers speak highly of the place? Take the time you need to answer these questions. After you find the right place, the contract will be there for you. You'll find the right job. You're highly qualified here and you have the right to be picky.

Eric