View Single Post
Unread Jun 16th, 2005, 04:14 am
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road

I worked a camp in Suwon a few winters ago and it was one of the best working experiences I have had here.

I was hired while in the States. I think airfare was included but I wasn't leaving korea immediately after the contract so I can't remember. I had already bought my ticket anyway so it didn't matter, I already had another job lined up. I think it's less risky for them to hire someone in country because i guess it's easy to bail on a 1 month contract...

I worked at the English camp hosted by Suwon University. They also made it known that the camp job was a prelude to working at the university which is really sweet. You get to see how they operate and they get to meet you and see your teaching style. At the end of our contract I got an offer to work at the university but I already had another job.

The work load was pretty mellow. I think 28 hours or something like that. It was a 4 week camp and there were 2 groups of kids that stayed for 2 weeks at a time. There were Korean teachers to help manage the kids at night and in the morning and in their rooms. We had to work every other Saturday. They put us up in huge, uninhabitated dorm rooms. They fed us 3 meals a day, 6 days a week. The pay was great, 3.3million. If it wasn't for all the noraebang excursions, i wouldn't have spent a thing. The school was well organized and the directors were great.

If you ever see an English camp hosted at Suwon University, I recommend going there. And you might even end up with a Uni job after. I did try to contact them the following winter but was not able to get ahold of anyone there. But keep your eyes open.

Eric