View Single Post
Unread Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:16 am
eslHQ Member

marie777 is on a distinguished road
Default A humiliating day - help required

I am new to teaching and have been told I need to teach from the book, so I have used it a little just for the topic and that is it. The other week I got told my lesssons are boring, so I spent ages looking up games which is hard for such a large class of 60. The other teacher has been told his lessons are boring as well. I spent a day at one school trying out my games and they were a real hit. So I went to the other school and tried Chinese Whispers ( maybe it was too early, I don't know 7.45am) and they weren't over ethusiastic, and then one of the students ran to the board and wrote this lesson is boring. I felt reallly upset and humiliated but kept it inside and said ok tell me what you would like to do and what you would like to talk about. The response was silent. After the lesson the lad came up to me and said he was sorry he doesn't know how to express himself, I said its ok I am glad you told me but next time can you tell me in private, he said yes. Two other students came up to me and said don't worry it will be ok.

So for the rest of the day, I asked the students what they would like to chat about, I spoke about myself, then got them to come up to the front and speak about themselves, this worked and got a few laughs. The last teacher just let them play on the computer and watch videos, also he spoke fluent Chinese.

Where do I go from here, I want to be a good teacher and I want my lessons to be interesting? Surely if I have to come up with an intesresting topic each week I am going to run out. The Chinese students just seem to want to sleep as they study so hard all day. Sorry to waffle on it has been a bit of an upsetting day for me so I guess I have a lot to say...